Commonwealth Courts Portal
The Portal is a joint initiative of the Family Court of Australia, Federal Court of Australia and Federal Circuit Court of Australia and allows free web-based access to information about cases before these courts.
The Portal was launched in July 2007. The concept of a shared portal became a reality once all three jurisdictions shared the same electronic case management system which is the infrastructure upon which the Portal is based.
The Portal provides free web-based access to information about cases that are before these courts. After registering, lawyers and litigants can keep track of their cases, identify documents that have been filed and view outcomes, orders made and future court dates. Users log on using a single user ID and access multiple jurisdictions from a single central web-based system.
The Portal provides an ever increasing range of services which currently include:
- a view of court information designed specifically to suit the users needs
- the ability to search for relevant information held by the three courts
- access for lawyers to case information from the convenience of their own office
- control and administration of this access by the law firm in which they work
- a customised home page which enables users to see what has changed since their last log on
- secure access to information for self represented litigants, and
- the ability to eFile applications for divorce, family law supplementary documents, initiating applications and response to initiating applications.
Services planned for future implementation include:
- new case management functions including eCourtroom – a feature that enables parties to attend hearings electronically
- an integrated eJudgment feature which will provide easy access to published judgments in matters from inside the Portal
- links to order transcript for matters, and
- a facility to enable eService of documents between registered users.