Street Address

Nigel Bowen Commonwealth Law Courts, Cnr University Ave & Childers St, Canberra

Opening Hours

08:45am - 16:30pm

Postal Address

GPO Box 9991, Canberra ACT 2601


See relevant addresses provided below


1300 352 000

Phone Hours

8:30am - 5:00pm


(02) 6243 5690

Urgent After Hours

1300 352 000 (This after hours service is limited to the family law jurisdiction in circumstances where:

There is a real risk of a child being removed from Australia before the next working day; or

A lawyer contacts the service where there is a risk of removal or dissipation of assets before the next working day.

Enquiries relating to: bankruptcymigrationhuman rightsindustrial law and other matters.

Street Address

Nigel Bowen Commonwealth Law Courts Building
Cnr University Ave & Childers St Canberra


Email for General Federal Law matters. For Family Law see below.


(02) 6267 0666

Phone Hours

8:30am - 5pm



Opening Hours

9.00am - 4.30pm - Monday to Friday

Urgent After Hours

For urgent after hours applications contact the Law Courts Security Desk, NSW on (02) 9230 8282

The Federal Circuit Court of Australia shares facilities with the Family Court of Australia and the Federal Court of Australia.

The Childers Street Courts Complex (including the Family Court of Australia) is located on the corner of Childers Street and University Avenue, adjacent to the Australian National University campus.

The Complex is easily accessible by bus with the Civic ACTION Bus interchange only 10 minutes walk from the building, with stops closer by for some routes.

General enquiries

Information about filing and family law procedures

Procedural information about your case

Family law forms and publications


Commonwealth Courts Portal Support

For information see the Commonwealth Courts Portal how do I's.

For information see the Commonwealth Courts Portal how do I's.


Proof of divorce

I need to prove we are divorced – how do I do that?


Registry enquiries

Lost property

Request for a lawyer code

Request availability of a file for file viewing or subpoena viewing (you should check that leave has been granted through the Commonwealth Courts Portal prior to sending a request to inspect a subpoena)

Family Court of Australia case file information – parties/lawyers

Lawyers providing conciliation conference documents – Family Court of Australia and Federal Circuit Court of Australia

Follow up enquiries for consent orders and urgent applications

Divorce hearing – requests to attend by telephone and adjournment.


Child Dispute Services

Confirm appointments.

Request to cross-examine a family consultant or regulation 7 provider.


Federal Circuit Court of Australia

To contact Federal Circuit Court of Australia chambers please refer to Communicating with Judges' Chambers and contact details.


No public telephones available.

Photocopier available on ground floor – 20c per copy.

Public access computers to court websites only.

Justice of the Peace – all documents should be signed, witnessed and photocopied before attending the registry.

Bathrooms located on ground floor.

Parents’ room with changing facilities for babies located ground floor.

Wheelchair access available via the main entrance.

Lift access available to all public floors.

Hearing loops available by contacting the registry in advance – email and postal address information above.

No childcare available. Please bring a responsible adult to supervise your children when you are being interviewed by the Family Consultant. Please also bring snacks as this could be a long day if children are required at interviews. For more information on if your child is required please speak to your lawyer or the Registry staff and refer to

For copies of transcripts contact Auscript.

Provides free legal advice to parties in family law matters.


Monday  Friday 10 am – 3 pm 

Location: Ground floor, next to court 4.

The Family Advocacy and Support Service (FASS) is a free service providing assistance to families with family law matters who have been affected by family violence.

You are eligible for support from this service if:

  • You or a family member have experienced, used or are alleged to have used family violence in your relationship; and
  • You need legal assistance with family law, child protection or family violence intervention orders.

FASS Social Support Service

The FASS social worker can help with:

  • Safety planning and risk management when attending court, at home and in the community
  • Providing court support before, during and after court
  • Providing warm referrals to relevant service providers for counselling, financial, accommodation and other services that can assist.


Monday — Friday 10 am – 3 pm

Location: Ground floor, next to court 4.



The counter is currently closed. Opening hours are between 08:45 Hrs and 16:30 Hrs.

Clients waiting

Approx Wait Time

It is important to obtain some independent legal advice in relation to your situation. A lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and responsibilities. They can also explain how the law applies to your case. A lawyer may also be able to help you reach an agreement without going to court. The court is unable to provide legal advice because to do so could seriously compromise the court's ability to impartially determine a case if a person then applies to the court seeking orders.
The Family Relationship Advice Line (FRAL) can help you with free legal advice and information about services available to assist anybody with family relationship issues - call 1800 050 321 (+61 7 3423 6878 if you are overseas). You should advise FRAL that you are seeking legal advice and they will take your details and a lawyer will call you back. FRAL will advise you of a timeframe on the call back, you should advise if it is urgent.
Alternatively, the Australian government funds a range of legal assistance services that may be able to assist you, including Legal Aid Commissions and individual Community Legal Centres, which offer free and low cost advice. Information to assist with finding legal services is available from the Attorney-General's Department website.