Contact details for the Family Relationships Advice Line
- Phone: 1800 050 321
- International callers: +61 7 3423 6878
- Hours: 8 am-8 pm, Monday-Friday, 10 am-4 pm Saturday (local time), except national public holidays
- Website: https://www.familyrelationships.gov.au/talk-someone/advice-line
Support for kinship/grandparents carers - Australia-wide services
- You can use the Department of Human Services – Support for non-parent carers webpage to find out about the government payments and benefits you can get when you’re a full-time kinship or grandparent carer.
- The Family Relationships Online – For Grandparents webpage has links to information and services that may be able to help you in your role as a grandparent carer.
- The MyTime for Grandparents is a national network of support groups for grandparents who are full-time carers of grandchildren aged up to 18 years.
- The Raising Children Network - Services for grandparents and kinship carers webpage provides information about services and support for grandparents and kinship carers
Support by state
There are also many resources available in each state, which is listed below.
- ParentLink - https://www.parentlink.act.gov.au/parenting-guides/roles_and_relationships/grandparenting
- Grandparents ACT and Region - http://www.marymead.org.au/services/grandparents-group
- Grandparents and Kin carers - http://shellharbourkids.com.au/support-services-page/grandparents-kin-carers
- Grandparents raising grandchildren booklet - http://www.cotansw.com.au/MediaPDFs/2012-07-01%20Grandparents-Raising-Grandchildren-Networking-Resource.pdf
- Samaritans Kinship Care (Grandparents as Parents) – Central and Hunter Regions - www.samaritans.org.au
- Mission Australia, Grandparents Raising Grandchildren support program Nowra - Mission Australia, Grandparents Raising Grandchildren support program Nowra - https://www.missionaustralia.com.au/servicedirectory/186-children-families/grandparents-raising-grandchildren-nowra
- Salvation Army, Wollongong -www.salvos.org.au/scribe/sites/wollongong/files/FFP/off%20our%20rockers.pdf
- Connecting Carers NSW (CCNSW) State-wide - www.connectingcarersnsw.com.au
- Carers NT – https://www.carersnt.asn.au/
- Supporting Queensland Grandparents - http://www.grandparentsqld.com.au/
- Information for grandparents raising grandchildren - http://www.qld.gov.au/seniors/grandparenting/raising-grandchildren/
- Older Aboriginal people — Raising grandchildren and relatives - http://www.sa.gov.au/topics/seniors/older-aboriginal-people/raising-grandchildren-and-relatives
- Grandparents for Grandchildren SA Inc - http://www.gfgsa.com.au/
- Bethany Kinship Care - https://www.bethany.org.au/kinship-care/
- Grandparents rearing grandchildren WA - http://www.grandparentsrearinggrandchildren.org.au
- Grandfamilies — A Resource Guide for Western Australian Grandparents raising Grandchildren https://www.dlgc.wa.gov.au/Publications/Documents/GrandfamiliesGuide.pdf
These links provide research about grandparents who are the primary carers of their grandchildren
- Policy brief - The changing role of grandparents http://ww2.rch.org.au/emplibrary/ccch/PB19_Grandparents.pdf
- Grandparents as primary carers of their grandchildren: Policy and practice insights from research http://www.aifs.gov.au/institute/pubs/fpl/fpl12.html
- Senate Inquiry – Grandparents who take primary responsibility for raising their grandchildren http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Grandparent_Carers/Report