Should I get legal advice?

It is advisable to obtain legal advice before making a decision about what to do or before applying to the courts. A lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and responsibilities. They can also explain how the law applies to your case. A lawyer may also be able to help you reach an agreement without going to court.

Where can I obtain legal advice?

You can organise your own legal representation or the Family Relationships Advice Line  (FRAL) can help you with free legal advice and information about services available to assist anyone with family relationship issues, including information relating to family law proceedings. To contact FRAL call 1800 050 321 or +61 7 3423 6878 if you are overseas.

Alternatively you may be able to obtain initial free legal advice from a Legal Aid advice line in your state or territory.

Court staff cannot give you legal advice.

Can the Court refer me to a private lawyer?

The Court cannot refer you to a private lawyer. If you are looking for a private lawyer who specialises in family law matters, the law society  in your state or territory may be able to help.

What other community legal services are available?

National Association of Community Legal Centres 

Aboriginal Family Law Services 

Related Information